Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
May 26, 2018, 01:49:03 PM
8,794 Posts in 2,343 Topics by 310 Members
Latest Member: fennelwink
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Rhiana Griffith Fan Club | Message Board
|-+  Rhiana Griffith
| |-+  News and Discussion (Moderator: Ardath Rekha)
| | |-+  Important! Yahoo emails are going to be banned.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Important! Yahoo emails are going to be banned.  (Read 4819 times)
Ardath Rekha
Your Nefarious Webmistress
Administrator

« on: August 21, 2005, 10:54:23 PM »

We really regret having to do this, but we have to ask all of you who registered with a Yahoo email address to provide a new address.

Periodically, people have joined our board with the intent of spamming or harassing our members.  In virtually every single case, they have used a Yahoo email address to do so.  We have attempted to get Yahoo to enforce their terms of service on these individuals but they have always been uncaring and obstructive.

In the last 48 hours, the board has been deluged by a would-be spammer who has repeatedly registered for accounts using Yahoo addresses.  It's the last straw.

We intend to ban Yahoo emails -- including variations upon Yahoo.com such as Yahoo.ca, Yahoo.co.uk, and Yahoo.com.au -- in the very near future.  We may wait a while if this jerk desists, but we no longer feel that Yahoo addresses are at all trustworthy.  They're far too easy to get and it's far too easy for people to be dishonest about their uses.

We're asking everyone who registered with a Yahoo account to please provide a new email as soon as possible.  Once we put the ban into effect, we're not sure what it will do to existing accounts.  It may well be that anyone who still has a Yahoo email address will be unable to post, or possibly even log into their account, once the ban is in place.  Or it may have no effect at all.  The best course of action is to change your email now while you're guaranteed to still have access.

Now, we know that a lot of you chose Yahoo because it does, indeed, give you some measure of anonymity, and some people need that on the web.  We certainly understand that need and we sympathize.  Here are two things we can do to help you with that.

First:  If you go into your Profile settings, the first option under the Preferences header is "Always show my e-mail address."  If you check "no," the only ones who will have any access to your email information are the board's administrators, who are all very serious about protecting the confidentiality of such things (and who can see the IP# you log on from every time you visit the board, anyway).  This will protect your new email address from being disseminated to the general public.

Second: At this point we haven't had any such trouble originating from Hotmail or Gmail, so we would recommend that you replace the Yahoo account with one of those.  One of our admins has a few dozen gmail invites handy, if you need one, and we'll be happy to pass them on.

We will be posting a notice on the site's front page within the next day, and will also begin emailing all of our registered members who have  Yahoo addresses.  Please take a moment, if you can, to update your profile now, with a new address, to help us cut down on the amount of time and effort it will take us to protect the board from these nitwits.

Our apologies for the inconvenience, and thanks for understanding.

Ardath and the RGFC team.
gbmarie

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 12:40:03 PM »

I hate how someone always has to abuse the system and cause trouble for the rest of us. I'm glad I registered with a hotmail.
mesmerized_at_first_sight
Adult Member

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 12:45:59 PM »

yikees... did not see this post earlier! when do we have till to provide a new email address? and yeah... do we really need the yahoo group any more? i have rarely, if ever seen any activity there. moreover, whats to prevent the spammer(s) from messing with this conversation board?
Ardath Rekha
Your Nefarious Webmistress
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 02:28:01 PM »

Well, the Yahoo board has been set so that people can still look at the pictures stored there, and access the files (most of which are also here) and find us, but it's no longer set for conversations since we now have this board.

We've enabled some other security features that have managed to cut down on the number of spammers who can get access.  Bots no longer can, because they can't read and follow the "prove you're human" instructions.  Anyone who provides a false address can't get past the signing-up point anymore because in order for the account to be activated, they need to have an activation key emailed to them.

We still get a few allegedly human spammers who sign up and post links to junk-sites in their profiles, which has us wondering if we can reconfigure the board so that it won't accept website data until after the account has actually been activated.  I'll have to see whether there's some way I can manipulate a few pages so that inputting a website is something that you can't do during initial sign-up, but can do once you're logged in.

The benefit of that would be that there'd then be absolutely no use for these morons to sign up -- they couldn't spam us in any way, shape or form without actually validating and logging in -- and then once they did log in, we'd have a record of their IP addresses and would be able to TOS their annoying asses with their internet service providers and get them kicked offline. *evil grin*

Yes, this is something I'm looking into.

But yeah, we really want to phase out the yahoo addresses altogether, because Yahoo is extremely bad about allowing spammers and harassers to have their own way with the internet (to the point I won't have anything more to do with them and the yahoogroup's continued existence is mostly intended to redirect people here).
Shalimar
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 06:40:58 AM »

Hi mesmerized_at_first_sight,

If you need a gmail account, please send me a PM with a working e-mail address, and I'll send you an invitation. That goes for any of the rest of you yahoo account holders, too. I have 100 invitations to give away!

Thanks,
Shalimar
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register