Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
October 18, 2018, 06:15:15 AM
8,794 Posts in 2,343 Topics by 310 Members
Latest Member: fennelwink
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Rhiana Griffith Fan Club | Message Board
|-+  Rhiana Griffith
| |-+  Character Sketchin' (Moderator: Ardath Rekha)
| | |-+  How do we define Jack?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: How do we define Jack?  (Read 19119 times)
erikaclare
Adult Member

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 02:36:12 PM »

If Jack didn't intend to be like Riddick, as you indicated, why did she go the lengths of emulating him? What she saw in Riddick was a sense of fierce control, projecting fear in others based upon the little that Johns told them, subtle intimidation and no fear in the face of death.

And if Rhianna provided in an interview that Jack came & escaped from a bad past: she saw in Riddick what potential and capability she had to be in control without surrending this to a more powerfull (male) force.

I'm not saying that she didn't spend time with others, when in fact she did so as you said 'made her well liked" and would care for her. In my own terms, I used self preservationist.

Where did you hear that the production company may make a sequel to Chronicles of Riddick? Lets just hope for our sake, that the critics and our disappointment, will 'fix' their decision. They should be begging her on bended knee that here we have a better writer who will do justice to Jack and cont. the relationship bet. Jack and Riddick that we saw in Pitch Black.

Those are truly free do and say what others only wish they could.
~The Outcasts of the Soul - eacb
Ardath Rekha
Your Nefarious Webmistress
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 02:52:42 PM »

Quote from: "erikaclare"
If Jack didn't intend to be like Riddick, as you indicated, why did she go the lengths of emulating him? What she saw in Riddick was a sense of fierce control, projecting fear in others based upon the little that Johns told them, subtle intimidation and no fear in the face of death.
Well, again, a lot of girls emulate their crushes without really wanting to become like them, and I think that was what Jack was doing.  She remained friends with Shazza, for example, after Shazza and Riddick came to blows, rather than attempting to side with her crush.  She wanted to project an image like Riddick's, and even said "okay, I can do it!" when he talked about killing people... but as the Dark Fury anime showed, actually taking a life left her pretty freaked out.  Imam said he was afraid she was going to become like Riddick, but I really don't see it.  Her actions may have resembled his somewhat, but her motives never did, and in the end, motives are what win out.

And if Rhianna provided in an interview that Jack came & escaped from a bad past: she saw in Riddick what potential and capability she had to be in control without surrending this to a more powerfull (male) force.
True.  But the one thing he could do, and she couldn't, was turn off his connection to others, seeing them only as objects and obstacles, which enabled him to kill them without hesitation.  In fact, in Pitch Black, it was when he became more like her, and started caring about the people around him, that he earned his redemption.  A redemption that was missing/glossed-over in CoR as though it never happened and as though Fry, and her sacrifice, never existed. (BOO, David Twohy! BOO!)

I'm not saying that she didn't spend time with others, when in fact she did so as you said 'made her well liked" and would care for her. In my own terms, I used self preservationist.
Again, though, self-preservation, on a practical level, would have kept her on New Mecca, as long as Imam didn't turn out to be some kind of lunatic.  Running after Riddick was something she already knew was futile, and joining mercs was an act of profound stupidity.  Especially after the things he said about Mercs -- in her hearing range -- in Dark Fury.  If she actually was trying to become more like him, she would have known that was exactly the wrong approach to take.  He made it abundantly clear that he had zero respect for mercs.

Where did you hear that the production company may make a sequel to Chronicles of Riddick? Lets just hope for our sake, that the critics and our disappointment, will 'fix' their decision. They should be begging her on bended knee that here we have a better writer who will do justice to Jack and cont. the relationship bet. Jack and Riddick that we saw in Pitch Black.
Well, from the time CoR was pitched to the studios, it was pitched as the first in a trilogy and described as a "Dark Star Wars."  In several interviews, Vin talked about what the next two movies would be like -- with the second taking place in the Underverse and supposedly being R-rated, and the third taking place on Furya.  Whether or not they'll actually get made is another question entirely... the film more or less flopped in theaters, ending its theatrical run $65 million in the hole, and audiences didn't seem particularly impressed or charmed by the Underverse.  They made very few new fans and lost a lot of old ones, usually the death knell for a would-be franchise.  But Universal was dumb enough to give Twohy $105 million once; they might be dumb enough to do it again.
firefly

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 12:40:54 PM »

I consider that will kyra is not jack.
I was really sad to see has which point it changes, and I refuse to re-examine the chronicle of riddick.

and i prefer dark fury! at least, I recognize jack, and that does not deform the image which I have of THE TRUE jack...

not you?

Trough my mind's at peace,
The world's out of order and missing then a heat,
Life gets colder...
erikaclare
Adult Member

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2005, 08:27:17 PM »

Dark Fury was the perfect continuation (cartoon wise I suppose - even though lets face it it would of been nice to see a reunion between the 3 characters now that Rhiana had come of age but I suppose not because the continuity would of been all off) of Jack's intriguingly unique character from Pitch Black. The cartoon sketch was a very dead on composite for Jack and Iman but I believe Riddick's character sketch was a bit over the top and embellished.
Rhiana brought the character to life and immediately captured our attention indefinitely. In Dark Fury, her voice alone breathes life into the cartoon and you KNOW its the Jack we know and love. No one else could ever be Jack but Rhiana Griffith and that was plain as plain in Dark Fury.
The only reason I even viewed Chronicles of Riddick because I mistook on Rhiana's filmography her name being on COR but I didn't connect Dark Fury to it immediately. So when I viewed COR, I was highly irriated (that's putting it mildly - even enraged is again putting it mildly) that she was replaced with that <<cringes and gags>> no-talent wonderbra, Davalos, who didn't uphold the originality and complexity foundation that Rhiana put into her. She turned her into 'Kyra' (yeah sure - Jack would NEVER change her name and turn into this angry indifferent death desiring poor representation of Jack). And did you hear in an interview (probably a year or so old) with Davalos 'appearing startling like her predecessor' (these people are so blind).
But yeah, Dark Fury with Rhiana is great. You can hear the "REAL" Jack. I love the scene where Riddick cuts this piece of metal from his neck with his knife and Rhiana's Jack asks unable to curve her enthusiasm, "Are you going to keep that?"

Those are truly free do and say what others only wish they could.
~The Outcasts of the Soul - eacb
Ardath Rekha
Your Nefarious Webmistress
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 02:44:58 PM »

but I believe Riddick's character sketch was a bit over the top and embellished.

Ironically, that could also be said to be true of CoR itself.  Riddick had been a plausible character in Pitch Black, but then CoR comes along and he's a male Mary Sue.  Less a flesh and blood person than a comic-book superhero with less spandex and more mud.  Which was what Kyra was as well, although a remarkably ineffectual one in many ways.

(It astounds me when people refer to Kyra as being "more empowered" than Jack... which one of them actually succeeded in saving Riddick's life, and staying alive themselves?  That'd be Jack, not Kyra.  Kyra, to me, was actually a step backward for a female character, because she was still never once able to rescue herself from a situation without Riddick's help, in spite of five years of supposedly molding herself into a badass.  The scrawny cross-dressing kid at least had a good excuse for being weak.  The recharacterization of her was infuriating enough even before they decided to go with T&A over talent.)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register